I am looking for a place to take my girlfriend fishing for crappie. Does anyone know of a good place relatively close to St. Louis? Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks.

Posted Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:09 pm

I live in Cuba Mo which is about 80 miles west of St. Louis on I-44. There is a public lake between St. James Mo. and Rolla Mo. it used to be called Little Prarie lake but now it is called William Towell or Trowell or something like that. It is a public lake managed by the State. it is about 30 acres in size I believe, and has a boat ramp and some fishing docks and a privy. I have fished this lake and have caught a few crappie and some bass out of it. I don't much care to fish there simply because it has never produced the kind of fishing I am looking for. But it is close to creature comforts and has a privy there. In my experience those are needfull things when fishing with the gals. To get there Take I-44 west to the 195 exit this is the St. James exit. Go like you were going to the McDonalds (North outer road) take the outer road aprox 4 - 5 miles and turn north on State Rd "RA" it's just a mile or maybe a little less to the turnoff to the lake just follow the signs. They allow boats but if your motor is over 10 hp you must maintain idle speed or just go easy they will ticket you for getting too wild. Also they don't allow camping there but there are some good cheap motels around St.James and Rolla. Hope this helps. Dave B

Posted Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:29 pm

MO Fish Finder

Social Links